When searching for an inflatable hot tub the Lay Z Spa range by Bestway is a brand that is hard to miss. So popular are there inflatable tubs that their range has continued to expand to feature just under 20 different models. And, with over 500,000 nationwide customers, they show no signs of slowing.
Within this range, you’ll find 2 tubs sporting the Palm Springs name. The first is the subject of the guide, the Palm Springs AirJet, and the second is the Palm Springs HydroJet. The HydroJet could be considered the premium model of the Palm Springs sub-range.
This means if you opt for the AirJet you won’t get the HydroJet water massage system or the automatic salt chlorination system. However, with these compromises comes a vast reduction in price. In fact, the PalmSprings AirJet can often be found for around 40% less than the price of its premium sibling. Allowing you to enjoy a premium spa experience at home without the premium price tag.
This Guide At a Glance:
- Palm Springs Key Product Information:
- Palm Springs Overview
- How Easy Is The Palm Springs To Setup?
- How Easy Is The Palm Springs To Maintain?
- Palm Springs FAQ
- Pros and Cons
- The Palm Springs AirJet: Is It a Good Buy?
Palm Springs Key Product Information:
Prices & information last updated on 2020-01-17
Palm Springs Overview
The Palm Springs is one of the largest hot tubs in the Lay Z Spa Range. Measuring in at 196 cm in diameter and 71cm tall it is a full 16cm wider than BestWays popular Miami tub. In fact, the only tub (to date) that is larger is the Monaco which measures an impressive 2.01m across.
This comes with some advantages and disadvantages. The main advantage is the Palm Springs can comfortably accommodate 4-6 people. This makes it ideal for small gatherings and get-togethers with friends and family. In addition, its larger dimensions will be more comfortable for taller people or those who enjoy a little more room to spread out.
That said if space is at somewhat of a premium the Palm Springs could be a tight fit. If this is the case in your home, you might want to consider one of the smaller Lay Z Spa tubs such as the Miami.
Soothing AirJet Massage System
When it comes to hot tubs one of the most desirable features is the soothing stream of bubbles that transform the water into a frothy, jacuzzi like experience. Bestway wasn’t naive to this fact and have included such a system in the Palm Springs.
Referred to as the AirJet Massage system this feature consists of a ring of 120 air outlets in a small air pocket located around the base of the spa called a ‘massage seam’. Activating the massage system causes air to be pumped into this pocket under high pressure where it escapes through the holes to create the soothing torrent of bubbles.
Sadly this feature switches off automatically after 30 minutes and a slightly longer run time would have been nice. On the plus side, it can be reactivated with a single button press.
Durable, Sturdy and Comfortable
Being exposed to the elements and the rigours of people climbing in and out of it, a hot tub needs to be sturdy. This is especially important in an inflatable tub where a puncture could cause a whole host of problems.
To ensure the Palm Spring stands up daily abuse it is composed of Bestway’s Tritech 3-layer, reinforced system and I-beam construction.
The Tritech system is designed to make the tub heavily puncture and wear-resistant. To meet this end it is composed of a polyester mesh core sandwiched between 2 layers of laminated PVC.
As for the I-beam construction; this is designed to make the tub as sturdy as its hard-plastic counterparts. It provides the strength to keep the tub rigid when full of people and prevents the sides from collapsing when people are climbing in and out.
Despite its tough construction the PalmSprings also remains luxuriously comfortable and even comes with a cushioned floor.
Easy Use Digital Control Panel
To reduce complexity and the chance of things breaking the control panel is mounted directly into the PalmSprings water pump. It can be accessed from within the spa but some people might find this a little bit of a stretch.
In some later Lay Z Spa tubs (which, incidentally, includes the premium model of the Palm Springs), this potential pitfall has been remedied. The control panel is mounted on a hinged arm and can be lifted to the side of the tub for easy access.
However, in the Palm Spring AirJet’s favour the panel is easy to use and well designed. The LCD read-out is crisp and clear and each setting can often be accessed with a single button press. The panel is also enclosed behind a splash resistant, soft press, plastic membrane. This allows the controls to be used with wet hands without the risk of damaging the electronics.
Power Saving Timer
If you use your tub regulary it makes sense to keep it heated 24/7. This way you can take a dip anytime you want. But, what if you only use it at weekends? Or just a few times every month? In these situations, it does not make sense to run the tub continuously.
In such occasions, the power saving timer function can be used. It does require some planning ahead but it will vastly reduce the energy consumption of your tub. Using this feature you can program the water heating system to begin heating the water after a delay of up to 24 hours.
For example, if you wanted to use your hot tub Sunday morning you could set the timer Friday night at 8pm to delay starting for 12 hours and run the heating system for 36 hours after this delay. This means your tub would start heating 8am Saturday morning (after the delay has elapsed), it would then have a full 24 hours to heat the water and you could enjoy the hot tub all day Sunday before it switched off Sunday evening.
Water always presents some kind of danger and safety is important. So, it was good to see several important safety features built into the Palm Springs.
- The first is double lock safety clips on the pool cover which make it difficult for children to remove.
- The second is an RCD system, much like those found in the home, which cuts out if a short is detected.
- The last is a ground fault detected system that constantly monitors if the earthed power supply is safe.
How Easy Is The Palm Springs To Setup?
Part of the popularity of the Lay Z Spa range is undoubtedly their easy setup. No tools are required and everything you need to get going is included in the box. Bestway even provides a host of videos on their website and Youtube channel that walk you step-by-step through the setup process.
Setting up the Palm Springs can be broken down into 3 main steps:
- The first step is inflating the tub itself. This is a simple process and the water pump doubles as a handy air pump – so no manual effort is required to inflate the spa. Simply connect the supplied hose to the air outlet and press the Massage System button and wait! It takes only around 10 minutes to inflate.
- The second step is inflating the supplied cover. The follows the same process as above and once inflated the lid not only becomes more rigid but also creates a layer of insulating air to cover your spa. This prevents debris from falling into the pool an also makes it easier to heat and maintain the water temperature.
- The third, and final step is to fill the water and begin heating it. Handy max and min fill lines prevent over or underfilling and the rapid heat system works hard to ensure the water is heated as quickly as possible. In many cases, the water can be ready in as little a 12 hours (depending on ambient temperature conditions of course).
When it comes to packing away the PalmSprings, this is just as simple. A drain port in the base allows for quick emptying of the water and the hot tub can be deflated and packed away as needed.
How Easy Is The Palm Springs To Maintain?
As with all hot tubs, some maintenance is required, mainly to keep the water clean and hygeinic.
The filter will require cleaning after using the tub or at least every few days. Generally speaking, the filter needs replacing if it is stained or marked and cannot be cleaning by rinsing.
You will also need to treat the water to help keep it clear and free from bacteria. The ClearWater chemicals system has been designed for such a purpose. Chemical floaters and chlorination systems help distribute the cleaning chemicals into the water. They also act to delay the release of the chemicals to prevent too much or too little being released.
Palm Springs FAQ
1 Is it expensive to run?
It is difficult to place a precise finger on running costs since this will vary widely with usage and temperature conditions. However, Lay Z Spa provides a rough estimate of £7 – £10 a week operating costs.
2 Is support available?
Yes, support is available via a UK based support team and a 2 year warranty (at the time of writing). This shows real commitment by BestWay to their product range and ensuring their customers are satisfied with their hot tubs.
Pros and Cons
The Palm Springs AirJet: Is It a Good Buy?
We’d describe the Palm Springs AirJet as a great example of one of Bestway’s ‘mid-range’ inflatable spas. It’s a decent size to enjoy as alone, as a couple or with friends. Plus, it’s sturdy construction and cushioned floor make it both durable and comfortable. It is also furnished with a lot of the benefits we’d expect to see in any decent inflatable hot tub. From the 120 air jet massage system and blissfully warm 40°C water temperature right through its TriTech construction and simple setup.
With this in mind. it’s easy to see why the Palm Springs AirJet has garnered such favourable reviews. Its simple setup and operation make it ideal even for the tech or DIY novice to use. When you couple this with its inbuilt safety features it is the ideal hub for social get-togethers and has the build quality to withstand the rigours of daily family use.
This Weeks Most Popular Inflatable Hot Tubs
- One of the UK's Bestselling, Award winning inflatable hot tub brand: Trusted by over 250,000...
- Massage system: The soothing 81 AirJet system gives you an all-surrounding massage experience for...
- Set up in minutes (tool free): Lay-Z-Spa spas require no professional installation or tools, inflate...
- With the Intex PureSpa you can enjoy a luxurious spa experience and relax in the comfort of your...
- The built-in hard water treatment system makes water gentler on skin for a soothing experience
- The PureSpa comes with a simple-to-use control panel that adjusts the heating system.
- MSpa Brand Hot Tub / SKU: SILVER CLOUD D-SC04 / Dimensions: W180 x H70cm (Internal Width: 140cm) /...
- 118 air jets innovatively and dynamically positioned / Heat Increasing Rate 1.5 – 2 Celsius/hour/...
- Features a Built-in Control Box – One button to inflate within 2 minutes and no External motor!...
Prices & information last updated on 2020-01-17